Heat Stroke is a medical emergency so ensure further help has been called for. Treatment should consist of:
- Primary Survey with particular attention to management of the airway as levels of consciousness deteriorate
- Remove from the source of heat
- Remove clothing
- Rapidly cool by fanning and dousing with cool water
- Ice packs are permitted on areas of high heat exchange such as armpits and groin but not direct to the skin, so wrap in an item of thin clothing first
- Rehydration may have be intravenously if an altered level of consciousness is present to reduce the chances of aspiration (breathing in) the fluid.